When it comes to fitness, most of us have an all-or-nothing mentality. This isn’t necessarily true. New research has shown that short bursts of exercise daily can significantly impact our health and wellness. Mini-Workouts, which can be as little as 3 minutes each, can be quickly and conveniently spread throughout your day. If you participate in a lengthy workout each morning but are sedentary the rest of the day, the impact on your health may not be as effective as you think. The Key is to do a little exercise, often!
Here are some great suggestions for incorporating intermittent workouts into your day.
- Run or Jog in place for 1 minute.
- Do Jumping jacks for 30 seconds.
- Hold a plank position for 30 seconds.
- Repeat, and you have done 4 minutes of exercise.
- Do you have exercise equipment near a television? Get a workout in while you are watching your favorite show.
- No exercise equipment? That is ok. While tuning in, do some squats, lunges, or sit-ups.
- Put some music on and Dance.
- Start your day with some Stretches.
- Find opportunities to walk more. Park further away from building entrances. And take the stairs!
- Stand up often.
- Sit on an exercise ball.
Intermittent exercising allows for more physical activity during your day. Each time you perform a few minutes of exercise, it allows for a mental break and helps you to be more alert and focused. Set a timer to get up and move each hour.
Remember, you are one short workout away from a better mood! Get up and move!